ICLA eFriend Launch
eFriend is a first-of-its-kind planned virtual peer support service in Australia, developed by Independent Community Living Australia (ICLA), leveraging on ICLA’s 30 years of expertise and experience in delivering in-community support for people with mental illness.
eFriend provides non-clinical, peer-based individual mental health support to people experiencing loneliness, isolation, distress, difficulty coping and the impact of trauma, anxiety, depression or thoughts of self-harm using a methodology known as ‘befriending’.
eFriend is staffed by a trained team of Peer Support Workers who have a personal lived experience with mental health, trauma, suicidality or distress.
Goals of eFriend
• Provide a social connection and listening ear
• Assist participants to seek support from their local network, community groups and coach them to reach out for help if they wish
• Assist participants to engage in self-care and create individual safety plans when needed
• Reduce loneliness and isolation in the community aiming for a reduction in the need for intensive mental health services
• Guide those seeking clinical mental health services to appropriate pathways